Thursday, October 16, 2008

good morning

aside from some of the most intense heartburn i've ever had due to two sessions of pizza consumption, i feel absolutely incredible right now. many factors have contributed to this. the factors: i showed up to work tonight slightly (and noticeably) drunk at 9pm. that wore off as my work drunks have always seemed to do, but around 10:30 i drank a Monster and a Coke. those of you that know me well know that i rarely ever consume caffeine. the stuff makes me crazy and makes me sing a lot and talk way too much. my colleagues and i spent the whole night talking about and singing the theme songs of shows like Fraggle Rock and Small Wonder. we even had a small discussion about Chicken George from the mini-series Roots. for a Trader Joe's shift which obstructed all chances of having any fun on a wednesday night, this was all in all a "hella" fun time.

so since there was no opportunity to get sleepy from the five beers i drank prior to work, i guzzled down the caffeine and got to make a lasting impression on the morning crew at my store. this got me thinking about the whole world of people that exist that no one really thinks of and most of us take for granted. over night shifts are rare for me, but these shifts make the world go round. grocery stores would not exist without people working over night shifts. its crazy really.

i shake hands with a few frightened morning folk, get into my ice 9 car and put on the only thing i want to hear after a night of loading shelves with beans; the first album by the Deftones entitled, "Adrenaline." Now in my opinion this is one of the heaviest albums ever recorded. disagree if you want, but whatever, this is my note. its also one of the few, if not the only, "metal" albums to be recorded entirely in standard tuning. for the non-guitarists out there, standard tuning restricts you from an entire note of action. your average punker knows that lower pitches on guitar generally lead to heavy tunes, and it is this small detail of the record that makes it so interesting and incredible.

i made it through the first three songs in my eleven minute drive from work to home. i live 3.2 miles from my store and its pretty much all uphill. its difficult for my poor little car to make it up this hill, but at 5:07 i saw one of the leanest and happiest dudes ive ever seen running up this hill (broadway terrace as its come to be known around these parts.) i bike up this thing almost every day and i hate my life once i get about 1/4 of the way up it. basically this inspires me to now end. i want to run (figuratively of course, im cracked out but im still exhausted.) its 5:43 and in about 25 minutes the sun will be rising and ill be hiking up my hill to look east.

i know i have plenty of endorphins moving through me from the steady flow of exercise and the steady flow of caffeine but i feel the most alive ive felt since moving up here. that's that!

No comments: